Kohler toilets are popular for their cleanliness and easy maintenance, but their installation can be a bit tricky. You should learn the parts and features of your particular model to make the task straightforward.
Lucky for you, we have laid out the instructions on how to install a Kohler toilet here.
Continue reading to learn the steps and watch helpful installation videos below.
Table of Contents
- Steps to Install a Kohler Toilet
Steps to Install a Kohler Toilet
Installing a Kohler toilet are doable, it’s pretty much the same as other toilet brands, except for some advanced features like a quick-attach seat system.
Step 1: What to Prepare
- Adjustable wrench
- Putty knife
- Wax ring
Step 2: Remove The Current Toilet
The first step in this DIY installation project is to remove the toilet in your bathroom. Before you start, turn off the water valve to stop the water from going into your commode.
- Open the tank lid and see if there’s water inside. If there is, flush it. Remove any remaining water with a sponge.
- Now, look for the nuts that hold the toilet bowl to the floor and remove them to lift the toilet off the ground.
- Unhook the hose that connects the supply line to the toilet, then take out the toilet.
- Try to get the old wax seal off the flange with a putty knife and discard the wax.
Step 3: Set The New Wax Seal
The wax seal is an important part of the toilet. It helps keep the sewer gas and water from escaping out in the open air.
You can use the wax ring included in the Kohler toilet package or replace it with a thicker one if the flange is too low.
- First, take your new toilet out of the box. Lay it sideways on a cushioned surface.
- Grab your wax ring and peel off the sticker at the base.
- Firmly press the wax ring on the hole of the toilet base, so it sticks there by itself.
Tip: One of the installation problems is instability. Before you set the new wax seal, position your new toilet to the flange to determine whether it needs shims to stabilize it.
Step 4: Install The New Toilet
Once the wax ring is attached to the toilet, it’s time to mount it to the flange. Kohler is available in different models, so refer to the manual for accurate installation. However, these general steps should apply in most cases.
- Twist the bolt heads into the flange. Usually, there are two bolts used for mounting the toilet onto the floor.
- Slide the plastic washers down to the bolts to secure them in place.
- Set the new toilet down to the flange, aligning the bolts to the mounting holes at the base of the toilet.
- Insert bolt caps, washers, and nuts on the exposed bolts at the base.
- Using your adjustable wrench, tighten the hex nuts on alternating sides while you apply downward pressure to the toilet bowl.
These installation instructions are suited for one-piece toilets. If you’re planning to install a two-piece model, proceed to step 4. If not, proceed to step 5 to complete the setup.
Step 5: Install The Tank (For Two-Piece Models)
Here are the instructions on how to install the toilet tank on most Kohler two-piece toilet models.
- Look inside the tank and check whether the bolts are properly inserted into the tank gasket.
- Position the tank above the toilet bowl, ensuring that the bolts are aligned with the holes of the bowl.
- Now, slowly place the toilet tank onto the commode base. The bolts should protrude underneath.
- To secure the tank, insert the washers onto the bolts and thread on the nuts clockwise. Tighten the nuts with the adjustable wrench. Avoid over-tightening the nuts because it might damage the porcelain.
- Finally, check whether the tank is level at the sides and front. If not, adjust the nuts inside and under the tank.
Step 6: Connect Other Tank Components And Supply Line
Now that you have the tank in place, it’s time to connect the supply line to your toilet and other tank components for optimum flushing performance.
- Hook up the hose connected to your valve to the connection point underneath the tank. Finger-tighten the connection in a clockwise motion.
- Next, look inside the tank and connect the refill hose to the flush valve. You want the valve float to move freely, so adjust the fill valve’s position as necessary.
- Attach the trip lever if it doesn’t come pre-installed in the package. Simply slide the lever into the tank and tighten it properly.
- Open the water supply valve to let the water fill the tank.
- Flush the toilet. Do it a couple of times to determine whether there are any leaks between the bowl and the tank.
Step 7: Attach The Toilet Seat (For Models With Separate Seats)
To complete the installation, attach the toilet seat to the bowl. The installation depends on what type of seat you have in the package.
If you have a model with a quick-attach system:
- Insert the bolts through the holes of the toilet seat.
- Align the hardware with the bowl’s holes and place the toilet seat carefully.
- Slip the wing nut up the bolt underneath and turn the bolt head with a screwdriver to tighten.
For a soft-closing lid, you might need to attach several rubber bumpers to dampen the noise when you slam the lid accidentally.
Watch the steps to install a Kohler toilet seat in this video.
At this point, I hope it’s clear to you how to install a Kohler toilet properly. All you need is to tighten some bolts and ensure that the wax ring is correctly set up. Of course, you should be careful while positioning the toilet because you don’t want the commode to shake when you sit.
Tell us what you think about this tutorial in the comment section below. If you want to help someone install a Kohler toilet, please share this article.
- How to Install a Toilet in a Basement With a Rough-in Pipe
- Detailed guide to Install a Toilet Flange on a Concrete Floor
I’m Paulk Webb, and I work as a writer for Saveourwaterrebates. I’m happy to put in the time and effort to conduct market research to identify the most pressing issues faced by households concerning their plumbing. Feel free to check out our guides to get the most informed recommendations for how to solve your problems.