Toto is one of the leading brands of toilets because of its sleek design, powerful flushing system, and advanced sanitation features. Because these Japanese toilets are quite expensive, you need to know how to clean Toto toilet. This way, you can protect your investment and ensure a germ-free environment.
All it takes to clean a Toto toilet is the right products, like a gel-based toilet bowl cleaner or a soft cloth. You need to clean everything, including the toilet bowl, seat, and washlet.
Let’s elaborate on the proper way of cleaning the Toto toilet below.
Table of Contents
Step-by-step to Clean Toto Toilet
Toto toilets are quite fragile, so you should be careful in choosing the materials to clean them. Take a look at what to prepare and follow the detailed steps.
What To Prepare
- Lysol toilet bowl cleaner (or other gel-based and bleach-free formulas)
- Dish soap (preferably Dawn dish soap)
- Soft-bristled cleaning brush or toilet wand
- Soft rag or cloth
- Protective gear like rubber gloves and respirator mask
- No. 2 Phillips screwdriver
What to do
Step 1: Prepare For Cleaning
First, wear your mask and hand gloves to protect yourself while cleaning the toilet. The mask will keep you from inhaling the nasty odor and toxic fumes, whereas the gloves will prevent you from touching the dirty surface and the cleaning agents.
When you clean Toto Neorest toilet, make sure that you unplug the power beforehand to prevent electric shocks. To be sure, check the manual of your Toto toilet model for cleaning instructions.
Step 2: Clean The Toilet Seat And Lid
Be extra careful when cleaning Toto washlet because they contain sensors and other electronic parts. To clean the plastic parts, use dish soap diluted in water because the toilet cleaner may cause damage.
- Slightly remove Toto toilet seat by unscrewing the bolts with a No. 2 Phillips screwdriver. Do it gently because the water hose is still connected to this part.
Alternatively, you can just put the toilet seat up for cleaning, although you won’t be able to clean it as thoroughly.
- Damp a piece of cloth with diluted dish detergent and wipe the surface of the seat.
- Don’t forget to clean both sides of the lid and the areas where the washlet touches.
- Once done and dry, put the seat back in the bowl.
Step 3: Clean The Toilet Bowl
Cleaning the Toto toilet bowl is almost the same for all finishes. Use a non-bleach formula when you clean a toilet bowl with Cefiontect and Sanagloss glazing. Similarly, to protect the super smooth surface of the Toto toilet bowl with Sanagloss, we’ll use a soft brush.
- Squirt Lysol to clean inside toilet bowl. Let the gel-based cleaner sit for about five minutes to loosen all the dirt and grime.
- Scrub the interior of the toilet with a soft brush, then flush the toilet to rinse.
- Now, move to the exterior surface of the bowl. Damp the soft cloth with soapy water, then rub it into the area to remove any dirt or debris.
Step 4: Clean Toto Toilet Tank
Some Toto models have built-in tanks. It’s not recommended to use a toilet tank cleaner because the harsh ingredients can damage sensitive parts. So a soft cloth, toothbrush, and clean water will suffice.
- The first part to clean inside the tank is the toilet fill valve gasket because it can stop working when accumulated with dirt. To clean, simply wash with water.
- If the tank’s interior is dirty, scrub the area with a soft cloth.
- Look at the deodorizing filter in your washlet. If it’s also dirty, clean that part with a toothbrush because the space is a bit narrow on that part.
Step 5: Deodorize The Toto Toilet
The final step is optional, but it’s an excellent way to finish the cleaning process with a refreshing scent from your toilet. All you need is baking soda and vinegar. The combination of baking soda and vinegar helps neutralize the odor in your bathroom.
- Pour a cup of baking soda into the toilet drain.
- Next, pour the same proportion of vinegar into the drain.
- Let the paste sit for about 30 minutes to activate the formula. Not only will this remove bad odors, but it also erases stains.
- Flush the toilet to finish the deodorizing process.
What should I not use to clean my Toto toilet?
Avoid using cleansers with gritty particles or anything abrasive because they might scratch the porcelain surface. Likewise, the harsh ingredients of bleach can also damage the finish of Toto toilets because of its strong chemical content.
Also, when you need to find a good brush for scrubbing the toilet, steer away from metal or hard bristles.
How often to clean Toto toilet?
Cleaning toto toilets need to be regular to extend the life of the toilet and ensure a germ-free experience. For the main unit of the washlet, you’ll need to clean it daily because it gets into direct contact with human wastes.
The minor components, such as the deodorizing filter and wand jet, need to be cleaned per month. Dirt can build up in these parts slowly over time, so it’s best to wash them occasionally.
Are Toto toilets easy to clean?
Toto toilets are easy to clean, most especially the Neorest or washlet models, because they have wand jets to wash the toilet automatically. Even when you don’t use the toilet, the toilet washes itself to keep it sanitized.
The waste rarely clings to the bowl because a film of water is sprayed before each use. Also, the flushing mechanism releases swirls of water to wash the toilet more effectively.
How to remove mineral deposits from Toto toilet?
A natural Toto toilet stain removal is to make a paste of vinegar and baking soda in equal parts. Both of these ingredients have chemical properties to remove tough stains. To use, simply let it sit in the stained area and scrub it after 15 minutes.
You can also substitute baking soda with sodium tetraborate or Borax. Use a smaller amount of Borax to mix with vinegar.
Another viable option is Coca-Cola, as it contains phosphoric acid that can weaken the stains. However, as the acid is pretty weak, you’ll need to leave the Coca-Cola in the toilet bowl overnight.
What are some good Toto washlet maintenance tips?
To keep the Toto washlet in good condition, here are some tips.
- Clean the power plug from any dust that can obstruct its operation.
- Make sure that all the toilet cleaner is all rinsed out to prevent damaging the top unit with its vapor.
- Be gentle in moving the covers around the wand because it might damage the unit.
- Likewise, handle the wand with care. Never apply too much force; otherwise, it will get damaged.
- Sit when urinating to prevent splashing into the washlet.
- Close the shutoff valve before removing the water filter drain valve to prevent leaks.
I hope that you know how to clean Toto toilet after reading this article. It’s pretty easy since some models have self-cleaning features. You only need to remove a few dirt and spots.
Make sure that you use gentle cleaning agents and materials. You don’t want to ruin the smooth surface of Toto toilets. Also, be careful in handling the parts because they’re sensitive.
Let us know your thoughts about this article in the comment section below. To spread this information, please share it with your friends.
I’m Paulk Webb, and I work as a writer for Saveourwaterrebates. I’m happy to put in the time and effort to conduct market research to identify the most pressing issues faced by households concerning their plumbing. Feel free to check out our guides to get the most informed recommendations for how to solve your problems.